Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Living room Sconces

 
Since we have had so many snow storms lately, a lot has been
going on on the inside of the house.
One of the best things about the living room fireplace is that
the mantle is wired for electricity.  I have always wanted
electrified sconces but most new homes don't put in
outlets for them.  We found two old sconces at
an antique store..... they were really old
and really dirty.  I think the style is called Art Deco
from the 1920's.
 
 
 
Pretty grimy. Old wiring.
 
 
Mike had to run the electrical wiring from the outlets
up the wall.  Then dry wall over the wires
 and then paint.
 
 
I cleaned up the sconces and put the first coat of
paint on.....a camel color.
 
 
 
Then I dry brushed a cream colored paint over
  the camel color. Next, dry brushed silver
over the
 raised places and the edges.
 
 
The fun part was making the candle cover.
I had seen on another blog how to make
a "drippy" looking candle cover using a
hot glue gun.  So I heated up the trusty
glue gun and dripped glue around and down
the sides of the cover.  I wasn't sure how the
glue was going to take paint but it did.
The paint stick like "glue." :)   I painted
the cover with the camel colored paint and
dry brushed the cream.  I was amazed how great
it looked. 
 
 
Next came the crystals (Mike had drilled very small
holes in the sconces.)
 
 
I am really pleased how great the sconces look and
had such fun with this crafty project.
 
Aren't you glad spring is finally here.
I am.
 
Valerie
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment